Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My views on equal rights

As most of you probably experienced, the majority of facebook users were up in arms yesterday.  People were changing their profile pictures to a red equals sign to show their support of equal rights. 
I am one of those people who changed my profile picture.  Instead of trying to post everything I believe to a facebook status, or several tweets, I decided I would just blog about it.  So here goes.  These are just my thoughts.

Do I believe that homosexuality is a sin?  Yes I do.  I believe that it is clearly pointed out in the Bible. But so are many other things.  We all sin every single day.  And we are forgiven.  We commit sins that we know are sins, and we are forgiven. Does that mean it's ok to sin?  No, absolutely not.  Does it mean that people with specific sins shouldn't have rights equal to people who commit other sins?  Absolutely not!

In a comment I read yesterday it was brought up that if you "love the sinner, hate the sin" you are actually telling them it's ok to commit the sin, therefore leading them to keep doing it.  I don't believe that to be true.  I think we can love the sinner, hate the sin and still have that person know that we truly with our whole heart believe that what they are doing is wrong.

In the Bible it tells us that divorce is a sin.  Do we let divorced people get re-married?
In the Bible it tells us that pre-marital sex is a sin.  Do we still let people who have had pre-marital sex get married?
For that matter, lying, cheating, stealing....all sins.  All people who can get married.

So saying all that....I still don't understand where it became the governments place to dictate who can and cannot get married.  Because from our very own Constitution we are allowed the seperation of church and state.  So, do we just ignore that while we're making our Christian laws?  I don't believe that's ok. Our country was formed with the basis of religious freedom.  That's why people started immigrating here.  So how now can we take that religious freedom away?  And don't say that it's not being taken away, because it is.  Religious freedom is being taken away when laws are made based on Christianity. That's NOT what our country was founded on.

I have also heard that when someone says that the church has no place in government they are just being complacent, not trying to change the world, and not trying to spread the word of God.  Obviously I don't believe that either.  I believe that you can be a Christian, a good Christian, without believing that the government has to be be run with Christian laws. 

The biggest thing I have to say in all of this, is that spreading HATE is definitely not going to get you anywhere in my book.  I have not had anything mean said to me, but I have seen on other pages where people are being blasted for their beliefs.  That is not ok.  It's not ok for non-Christians to do it, and it certainly isn't ok for Christians to do it.  Your choices are not for me to judge.  There is but one judge that we all have to answer to, and it certainly isn't someone on facebook or twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment