Monday, December 29, 2014

Stepping Back Up

We (my immediate family) have had a falling recently.  I'm not sure what the cause in the beginning was, it's been too long for me to remember. But we haven't been to church in about 4 months. Jacob and I looked at each other thinking there was no way that could possibly be right. But it is.  It has really been that long.  Now, Jacob did take the kids to church yesterday morning. I have been fighting some kind of cold and didn't want to spread it around, so I stayed home. 

A couple weeks ago I could feel the Lord speaking to me on and off all day.   Sadly, I kept pushing HIM to the side. I was busy trying to fill last minute Christmas orders, and take care of a tantrumming 2 year old all day.  I was busy. Too busy for God?!?  When has HE ever been too  busy for me?  That night I sat down and opened my Jesus Calling Bible Study. As I read the words on the page for December 17, tears started rolling down my face.  Remember...I was busy. I'm a mom. Trying to work at home. With a 2 year old. I'm stressed, about everything.  Those feelings had been weighing me down all day.  And God kept trying to talk to me, but I kept pushing Him away. When I finally did what God had been asking me all day to do....I realized how much better my day would have been if I would have just listened and been obedient the first time He asked. Here is an excerpt from that day:
              
Therefore, rejoice on those days when you drag yourself out of bed, feeling sluggish and inadequate.  Tell yourself that this is a perfect day to depend on Me in the day, you will discover at bedtime that Joy and Peace have become your companions.  You may not realize at what point they joined you on your journey, but you will feel the beneficial effects of their presence.

I don't know about you, but when I lay down in bed at night, Joy and Peace are things I need to feel the most. 

Of course I was so intrigued by what I had read, that I had to go on to the next day's devotional and see what it had to say.  What do I find on December 18?  A lesson about problems.  Who doesn't have problems?  So this should be the perfect lesson for everyone. I mean, I've always known that God is there with us through our problems, but I have never looked at it quite like this.

In faith, thank Me for your problem. Ask Me to open your eyes and your heart to all that I am accomplishing through this difficulty.  Once you have become grateful for a problem, it loses its power to drag you down. On the contrary, your thankful attitude will lift you up into heavenly places with Me. From this perspective, your difficulty can be seen as a slight, temporary distress that is producing for you a transcendent Glory never to cease!

Too often we face hardships and fail to view suffering with an eternal perspective. Our Heavenly Father always has a plan and purpose for adversity in our lives, and we can profit from it if we respond correctly.

It is easy to lose heart when nothing seems to be going our way. To just give up, as if it wasn't meant to be. But we have to continue to remind ourselves (and each other) how great a calling God has given us in Jesus.

Whatever storms may arise, we have an infallible and almighty God, who will be a sun and a shield to those who love Him!

That.Is.Powerful!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment