Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Farewell

Tomorrow will be my last day at KTUL---Channel 8 for those of you in our viewing area.  Going into it, I knew it was only a temporary position.  But, I quickly learned that they were wanting to hire me permanently.  We were waiting for me to complete 600 hours with them, as to not break the contract they had with the temp agency. 
Going into a new job I am always worried about how I will fit in, and whether I will be able to do what they want me to do.  This job was different from any jobs I have had before, so it was essentially starting over. 
My biggest fear is that I won't fit in.  That no one will talk to me.  That I will eat lunch alone.  Because I just don't do good first impressions.  I have a weird smile and a semi-lazy eye.  I'm not tall and blonde and skinny.  Basically...I just don't fit in.  It takes a while for people to warm up to me and my dry sense of humor. Then they finally GET me.
But at KTUL it was so different. They welcomed me to their group from the very first day.  My birthday was the first week I worked there, so they went out and bought my lunch.  Hung balloons and streamers at my desk.  It was fun.  They told me when I was doing a good job. Which I don't need to hear it a lot, but occasionally is ok.  And it's really nice to hear it when you are doing something you have never done before. 
Everyone who works there is super nice.  From the anchors, to the salespeople, and to the maintenance man who unlocked the door to my office every morning.  The Receptionist's name is Betty, but everyone calls her Betty Mom.  Because that's her role....to be everyone's mom!!
I quickly fell in love with that place and kept my fingers crossed I could do everything right and get hired on full time. 

But that didn't happen.  Their station was purchased by a larger broadcast group with tons of stations.  So they are outsourcing a lot of jobs...and one of them happened to be mine. They at least were courteous enough to give me a 2 week notice And tomorrow is that day.

I'm probably going to cry. I found something I love doing.  Something I'm good at. In a place where the staff is like a big happy family.  And now it's like the rug has been pulled from underneath me. 
These people have truly become my friends in the last 3 months, and I am so sad to be leaving them.

I'm so scared and anxious to be starting all over again. What if they don't like me wherever I end up?  What if I hate the job?  What if I don't pick it up as fast as I did this time?  Those things scare me. 

I have a couple things lined up, so hopefully something will come through

So, ladies and gentlemen at KTUL-TV in TULSA...thank you!  Thank you for being patient as I learned.  Thank you for always being so friendly and nice. I never passed anyone in the hall without a smile and a good morning.    I have nothing but happy thoughts about my time at KTUL.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete