Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Letters to Rex: September 2018

Rex Allen,

I hope you are able to read this some day.  I hope this blog stays out there long enough for me to be able to share it with you.

I can't believe you just turned 6!  My baby!  I'm sorry honey, but you will always be my baby. 

You started Kindergarten! And of course on your first day you couldn't have cared less when it was time for me to walk out the door.  It was harder on me than you.  I mean, it's not like I wanted you to cry.  I'm glad you're happy and comfortable there.  But part of me still needs you to need me. 

Yes that's right.  I need you to need me.  You're my last baby.  My last baby....ever.  My last baby I will ever send to Kindergarten.  There was a time when I provided everything you needed.  A time that seems like yesterday to me.  A time when your daddy went back to work and it was just me, you, and sissy hanging out at home all day.  And even more recent, a time when only I could understand you.  Now your sissy has mainly taken over that roll.  I still understand you more than daddy.  But sissy understands you even more than me.  I don't understand it, but I've heard stories that your daddy and your Uncle James were the same way. 

You're about to start your second year of speech therapy.  But you've already lost some of the words and phrases and mispronunciations that you used to have.  Things that I didn't know I would miss. 
"Big Boop Belly" will always be my favorite.  I was reminded of the "Wahlburgers goo goo goo" video today.  It almost made me cry.  I know that very soon you won't say "Keacher" instead of teacher.  You won't say "Dissy" isntead of Sissy.  And unfortunately you probably won't call me Mommy for much longer.  I know that big boys say "Mom."  But I'm not ready.  I'm not ready for you to not be my baby boy. 

I love you so much it hurts sometimes. 

My baby boy.  You are growing up so fast.  Please slow down.  Because I still need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment